Oldenborg Grant Application now available!
Application Deadline: TBA
Instructions for Applying for an Oldenborg International Research & Travel Grant
• Pomona College rising Seniors from all majors and disciplines may apply for funding to complete research toward their senior thesis, project, or exhibition during the summer break before their senior year.
• Applicants must be Pomona College rising seniors in good standing.
• Projects must be research-based and have prior department approval and faculty
• Proposals must demonstrate that international travel and research is vital to the successful
completion of the project.
• Proposals must address any relevant foreign language proficiency concerns as well as other
practical dimensions of fieldwork.
• Proposals must meet with Institutional Review Board (IRB) approval.
Grant recipients will submit a project status report upon their return and will also present their research in an IRC or other approved Oldenborg forum. Projects in countries on the State Department list of travel advisories are not eligible for Oldenborg Grant support. Projects must be undertaken during the summer session; i.e., when classes are not in session.
Submit the following materials by email to Oldenborg@pomona.edu. Please specify “Oldenborg Travel Grant” in the subject line. hard copis may be submittedin the Oldneborg Center main office.
1. A cover letter of three pages maximum (750 words) that addresses:
Background and context in which your project developed.
Your research methodology. What will your approach be to quantitative and/or qualitative
research? How will you collect data? How will you measure your progress? What will
constitute success for you?
2. A list of contacts that includes the name, title, organization of each contact and how much
communication you have had with your contacts to date.
3. A one-page budget. Include any and all project-related expenses and indicate what other
sources of funding you are pursuing.
4. A one-page resumé.
5. A copy of your transcript.
6. A letter of recommendation from your thesis/exercise advisor regarding your research project.
The Selection Committee will review grant applications and make awards shortly after the grant deadline.